Diwali 2009 in Connecticut, US

Submitted by preetiN on Thu, 10/22/2009 - 07:03
My first attempt at making sweets and snacks for Diwali. The list - Badam Halwa Mysore Pak Murukku Ribbon Pakoda
Lata
My goodness! What a spread! Looks beautiful and delicious. :)
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 08:40 Permalink
rajamma_2

Mouthwatering dishes. by the way what is that white flower? rajamma
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:11 Permalink
preetiN
Thanks Lata ma'am and Rajamma ma'am. The flower is actually yellow. But I don't know what type of flower it is :)
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:20 Permalink
Lata

In reply to by preetiN

If I remember it right, this flower is called Spider Mums (these come in some of the other colors also).
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:26 Permalink
lakshmiraghu
Mouthwatering dishes preeti!!u should have drawn a kolam like ur mum(brindha) it would have add glamour to this.
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:22 Permalink
preetiN
Thank you so much Lakshmi ma'am :) I'm just a helper for my mom :D I can't make one by myself :) he he :)
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:28 Permalink
preetiN
Yes Lata ma'am... I just googled it. It does look like a Spider Mum :)
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:29 Permalink
Lata

In reply to by preetiN

This picture must have made all of your family members (husband, parents, chitti, grandma....) very proud! The first Diwali is very special, and it is even more memorable when you end up making all of the delicacies being away from home. Preparing Mysore pak...so gutsy of you! (This picture has brought back memories for me, want to share something with you here. I was proud of myself when I looked at the things I made in my first Diwali, and it tasted great too, but, after a while, I couldn't control my tears, as I missed being at my mom's).
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:43 Permalink
brindhanagesh
Hi Chinnu Nice way of celebrating Deevali though you are not in India. Mudhal murai seidhalum azhagaga irukkiradhu murukku. Sweetskku Balajiye certificate koduthu vittar. Lakshmi still you remember that she is my daughter. She draws well in paper and helps me in colouring the rangoli. She gives ideas for colour combination also. Very nice chinnu.
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:43 Permalink
preetiN
Yes, Lata aunty (if I may call you so :) ). I miss home a lot too. But we do see each other everyday, thanks to the internet :), so it makes it a little easier :) And yes aunty everyone is happy and also proud :D And aunty Mysore Pak is one of my mom's specialty :) She's a pro, not only with kolams but in the kitchen too :)
Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:51 Permalink
Lata

In reply to by preetiN

Sure, "aunty" would be fine. :) What a coincidence! We two seem to think alike when it comes to mysorepak. My mom was, and still is well known among her gang of relatives/friends for her Mysorepak. She beat out her own mom. :) Years ago, part of the reason why I got sad , on my "thalai Deepawali", was because my Mysorepak didn't turn out as porous as my mom's. ;)
Fri, 10/23/2009 - 16:52 Permalink
judelined
Delicious spread and well laid out Preeti.. A pat on your back for that...
Thu, 11/05/2009 - 00:24 Permalink